Lost Voices
Lost Voices
Who will keep the words
when the tribes fade into legend and paintings on the rock face
with no voices to name the sable
or call the rain,
how will the Ancestors sing us the Songlines
back to our place?
Their wisdom is lost to the scattered Children of the grasslands
Spirits caged in the cities
dead to the dreaming of the dry desert dunes
creeping ever closer under a tearful moon
They cannot hear the west wind
whispering to itself
amongst whitening bones of the Wild ones
who had nowhere to run
from the relentless Sun
Souls are split from the Sacred
with who they once wandered
through the vast open spaces
with their herds
The old ways are dying
as the waters are drying
and the ancient forests cleared
no fist strikes the drum
to mark the ritual done
no pleas to the Thunder God
drift on dead rivers
the Children are gone
the Ancestors are still
the west wind has wandered on
What are you doing
while the Earth is dying
have you blocked out
the echo in the night
from the anguished cries
for mercy that will never come
And God – where are you
in this carnage and despair
have you given up
or are you still out there
waiting for us to come home
please send an Angel
I’m so utterly lost
on this dark road
alone
How can I sing the Songlines
back to my place
I'm waiting lost
in the Darkness seeking Grace
I cannot hear the west wind
whispering to itself
the Ancestors’ voices are long gone
how can I sing the Songlines
how can I carry on back to my place
I'm waiting
lost in the Darkness seeking Grace
how can I sing the Songlines
the west wind has wandered on
the Ancestors voices are long gone
how can I sing the Songlines
to go back to my place
there's just bones out here
and fading drawings on the rock face
yes I'm lost in the Darkness seeking Grace.
18 December 2024

Comments
Post a Comment